London (Londinium) Quick Facts


City of London


  • London was founded in approximately 50 AD and by 60 AD it had become a centre for trade and commerce.
  • Boudica’s rebel force razed the new settlement in 60 AD. The Roman Army abandoned the town when they realized the rebels were advancing because they did not have enough soldiers to defend it. After the rebellion was put down, Londinium was re-occupied and rebuilt.
  • Soon Londinium became the largest town in Roman Britain. Its 2nd century walls enclosed 128 ha (316 acres) on the north bank of the Thames.
  • The town was the Provincial Capital by the late 1st century. It was Provincial Capital of Britannia Superior in the 3rd century, and was Diocesan and Provincial Capital in the 4th century.

City Walls


Near Museum of London Map & Website/Near the Tower of London – Map & Website


  • London’s city walls were built approximately 200 AD around the settlement on the northern side of the Thames.
  • River defenses were built in stages from 240 to 360 AD and stretched for 1.75 km along the waterfront.
  • The wall stretched from modern day Blackfriars in the west to the Tower of London in the east.
  • After 350 AD, 22 semicircular towers were added to the eastern defensive wall

What Remains

  • Several wall sections can still be seen near the Museum of London and the river defenses can be seen near the Tower of London.
  • The modern London Wall Walk traces the route of the City Wall from the Tower of London to the Museum of London.

Other Roman Sites of Interest in London

Statue of Trajan


Tower of London, MapWebsite

  • Statue believed to be of Emperor Trajan, AD 98-117

Cast of Trajan’s Column


Victoria & Albert Museum, London, MapWebsite

  • Trajan’s Column was erected in Rome in AD 113 and was carved with representations of Trajan’s army in the Dacian wars.

Statue of Boudica and Her Daughters


Near the Westminster Bridge, London, Map

  • Not Roman but a dramatic Victorian statue of the Roman era warrior and her two daughters in a chariot with rearing horses.
  • Sculpted by Thomas Thornycroft between 1856 and 1885 but not cast in bronze and erected until 1902.