Lullingstone Roman Villa – Quick Facts
Darent Valley, Kent Map & Website
- Earliest house was built on the estate about AD 100.
- The site remained inhabited and renovations and extensions continued for over 300 years into the 5thcentury.
- Wall paintings dating from about AD 360 provide some of the earliest evidence of Christian worship found in northern Europe. This included a large mural of six near life-size figures in robes with their arms raised up in prayer. This painting is not at Lullingstone but is in the British Museum.
- Foundation and partial walls of dining rooms with underfloor hypocaust heating and a bath suite.
- Audience Room floor with 4th century mosaic of Bellerophon and Pegasus fighting a chimera and motifs of hearts and swastikas, and Dining Room floor with 4th century mosaic of the Rape of Europa.