Rockbourne Villa – Quick Facts
Fordingbridge, Hampshire Map & Website
- Site of a late Iron Age farm with evidence of a circular timber hut.
- First Roman house built in late 1stcentury.
- Larger West House built around 150.
- Bath Suite added in 2ndcentury.
- North Range buildings date from 200.
- Mosaics and hypocausts added in 3rdcentury along with the East Bath Suite.
- 4thcentury enlargement to West Bath Suite and closure of East Bath Suite.
- By early 5thcentury the villa buildings were crumbling.
Most of the excavations have been backfilled for protection. Villa walls are shown as outlines. The following are on view:
- Hypocaust of the West Bath Suite.
- Mosaic of the North Range dining room.
- Mosaics of the East Bath Suite.