Wall (Letocetum) – Quick Facts
Wall, Staffordshire Map & Website
- Located at the intersection of the Roman roads, Watling Street and Icknield Street, Letocetum grew into a town from a resting station set up around the 70s AD.
- It was the location of a 2nd century mansio, an official hotel for travellers on government business or traders. Other services would include baths, stables and blacksmiths for horses, and taverns.
- A mansio was usually located every 20-35 miles apart on Roman roads.
- Foundations of a mansio, which would have provided comfortable accommodation in a two story building with underfloor heating and interior decoration.
- Foundations of a bath-house.