Black Carts Turret 29A – Quick Facts
Black Carts Turret 29A, Northumberland Map & Website
- A turret that was built the same time as the wall, with its north side the wall.
- Remnants of the turret door workings including grooves and whole that once held the pin that enabled the door to swing open and closed.
- An interesting stretch of wall because here we can see where wall construction narrowed and there are both 3 m/10 feet wide and 2 m/6 feet wide wall remains.
- Archaeologists believe that the wider width was part of the original plan but was then deemed too ambitious and the wall was made narrower to speed up construction and reduce the amount of material required.
- The soldiers building the foundations were faster than the wall builders and so most of the 3 m/10 fee wide foundations had been laid along the wall before the switch.
Carrawburgh Mithraeum/Procolita Fort – Quick Facts
Carrawburgh Mithras Temple and Procolita Fort, Northumberland Map & Website
- Procolita Fort was added to Hadrian’s Wall around AD 134 overtop the vallum, the defensive ditch south of the wall.
- The fort was garrisoned by the auxiliaries of the Aquitani (from southwest France), Cugerni (from the Rhine region) and in the 3rd century infantry units of the Batavi (from the Netherlands). Troops were stationed here until AD 383.
- Artefacts discovered at Carrawburgh Mithras Temple revealed that it was built in the early 3rd century and was used until the 4th century by the soldiers at Procolita Fort. The sign at the site says the temple was destroyed, probably by Christians.
- Nothing remains of Procolita Fort except an earthwork outline.
- The stone enclosure of the Carrawburgh Mithras Temple is filled with reconstructed cement altars, partial statues of Cautes and Cautopates (Mithras’ companions) and posts – replicas of stone and timber ones originally found at the temple in 1949.