Housesteads Milecastle 37 to Cawfields Milecastle – Quick Facts
Housesteads Milecastle 37
Housesteads Milecastle 37, Northumberland Map
One of the better preserved mile castles along the wall. Its north gate has a few of the archway stones curving into the air.
Hotbank Milecastle 38
Hotbank Milecastle 38, Northumberland Map
Just the earthwork outline of this mile castle remains.
Sycamore Gap, Northumberland Map
A very large sycamore tree sits in this gap along with a well. A scene from the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was filmed here.
Castle Nick Milecastle 39
Castle Nick Milecastle 39, Northumberland Map
One of the better preserved mile castles along the wall.
Cawfields Milecastle 42
- Built as part of Hadrian’s Wall in AD 120s.
- Site of a quarry of the hard black rock called dolerite, or whinstone by the locals, that closed in 1944.
- Mile castle outline sitting on the slope of the Whin Sill.
- Long wall sections that snake off to the east.
- Excellent view of the deep-rutted vallum, the defensive ditch that runs south of the wall.
- All that remains of the quarry is the lake and the scarred Whin Sill.